16 March 2008

This Month in Neuquen (February)

Welcome back to Neuquen! Our friends made us a lechon (suckling pig) to welcome us back home. (Below: Carolina, Trinidad, Micaela, me, Maria Pia, and my mom; Next: Pia, Mica, Chiana, and Rygelito; Next: the pig!)

It's been a little over a month since I've been back in Argentina, and not much is going on this March. Last month my mom was here visiting for three weeks, and we had a good time. But now I'm just adjusting to my normal life, laying around, getting some work done, fixing the house, and sleeping as much as possible! Plus we have the new edition, little Chiana, who met me in Connecticut and then followed me back to Argentina.

Chiana and Rygel love each other! They play and play and play. Chiana is a little girl, but she really sticks up for herself. When she is sleeping, she doesn't want Rygel to mess with her. She gets frustrated because she cannot catch him when she chases him around the yard--he runs so fast! They look like cute little black and white bunnies when they run and hop around the yard.

It took quite a bit of effort to get Chiana all the way to Argentina with us. My mom and I arrived in Buenos Aires on February 4 in the morning, but we didn't see Chiana until she was released from customs five hours later. Needless to say, we were very happy to see her, and we took her straight to the hotel for some play, nuggets, and relaxation.

We spent a few days in Buenos Aires before flying to Neuquén, and Chiana went everywhere with us--to coffee at Cafe Josephine's, for walks around town, to parks for a bit of sunlight. She didn't follow us to the mall or to the tango show, but we did see a great one at El Querandí.

When my mom was here, we went to the mountains, to San Martin de los Andes, and stayed in our favorite B&B there, La Casa de Eugenia. The owners are very friendly, and they love the dogs. Here are some pictures of the dogs there, playing with the resident princess, Pareese Hilton (the big dog below):
We drove on the famed Ruta de Siete Lagos, which is a two-hour drive through the forest and along the side of seven gorgeous lakes in Western Neuquén province. It passes into Rio Negro province, too, and cumulates in Bariloche. This drive was very nice but would have been more enjoyable if the road had been fully paved; there's about 28 kilometers of it that is rocky and jarring. We wish we could have taken our time, too, like most people do, and I spotted several places I'd like to camp and maybe spend a week, like along the banks of Lago Faulkner.

On the Ruta, we stopped and tried to take some pictures in front of a waterfall. My mom took a hilarious one that doesn't quite include everyone!

No comments: